Monday, May 18, 2009

Habitat for Humanity and getting wet

Through a co-worker of J's we were able to volunteer for the local Habitat for Humanity this past weekend. Since summer is in full bloom here we had to start at 6am (and it was roasting by 7). We lucked out according to the House Leader in that the house was nearly completed so we would be working on finishing touches rather than framing or roofing type labor.
I'm not sure how it really happened but J became the caulking master.....

and I was dubbed Michaelangelo (we were the go-to couple to perfect the upstairs)
taking a break...someone thought he was funny.
The group we came with has been volunteering for 5 years in loving memory of a man that passed away of cancer 5 years ago. I am thankful to them for their service and the love they now share with families in need in honor of their lost family member. It was our first time volunteering and we agreed it was a wonderful experience that we plan on doing again, perhaps in the winter when I personally won't have to sweat off 3 bottles of water without needing to use the restroom (TMI I know but I was amazed).
A few things I learned about the organization: where we were working was actually a Habitat for Humanity community rather than a single house build. Due to the economy, the organization in the next few years will be focusing on refurbishing foreclosed/abandoned homes instead of building new, so as to take full advantage of current resources. The future owners have to not only put in 300 hours of sweat equity on their own home but also 100 hours for someone else's. The United States chapters (as well as other countries) tithe 10% of their donations to the International chapter to help build more homes in under-developed countries where the need is exponentially greater.
I am so grateful I was able to be a part of this and look forward to our next opportunity. Thanks to those who helped watch E so we good participate.
P.S. faces, names and the address have been blurred for privacy

Getting Wet
I had heard that the San Tan Village had a kids' water feature, but I was afraid it would be lame and underrated. A friend and I decided to try it anyway and were pleasantly surprised. It was perfect for toddler aged children, though older kids might get a little bored quicker. The entire kids' area was covered, had two dry play areas and the one wet area in the middle. We had a good time and will definitely be going back soon.
Thinking it was going to be just a little drip something or other, I didn't bother to bring a swimsuit but E didn't seem to mind. Note: a sign read that all kids are supposed to wear suits in the water feature. In this pic, she is trying to catch the water in her mouth.
After a while in the splash area the kids started shivering so we took them over to the dry area to warm up a little. I loved all the bright, happy colors.
Here she is getting ready to enjoy her snack on the fake grass, which got surprisingly warm-shoes are a must in the sunlit areas. Her outfit is different here because, though I did not bring a swimsuit, I thought enough to bring a change of clothes. My friend was not so lucky and ended up buying an outfit at the ever-so-convenient kid clothing shops completely surrounding the play area so her son didn't have to suffer soggy and cold.

1 comment:

Jeanne' said...

I love taking the kids down there! :) It is so fun and it looks like she had fun! I was thinking of taking my kids out to tempe town lake. I saw they had a whole kids water play area! I will have to look into it more!