My mom and her siblings decided to throw a party for my Gpa's 90th birthday party, so we headed off to Ohio for the occasion. It was only Miss B's 2nd time flying and 1st time getting her own seat. It was also the first time my side of the family was going to meet my husband and 2 daughters (Gpa had met J and E twice and my aunt had met J at the wedding but that was it).
For the first flight B got to sit with my sis and mom. She didn't sing or talk loudly the entire flight, which I was worried about. Let's just say it runs in her blood, though I'm not divulging from which side.Part of the plan to keep her occupied was loading our phone with a movie just for her. Add the special and rare treat of a sprite and she was good to go.
We met up with Gpa and my aunt and her family at Steak N Shake for dinner. The girls each got their own shake, a cook's hat and a build-a-car toy. B got to sit with Aunt A and Uncle J and discovered that they are hilarious.
We weren't expecting it, but we found snow to play in. We didn't pack snow boots which meant soggy socks and shoes but no one complained.
This park was beautiful, filled with giant firs, bridges everywhere and several play structures.
We even managed a little snow man; our first this year. E actually helped roll the snow into a ball while B just had fun throwing snowballs into the little stream.
proof I was on the trip
Saturday night was Gpa's party. Friends and family gathered for a dinner and sharing of Gpa's best stories by those that knew him best. He is Irish and known for singing everywhere he goes. He loves golf, the Michigan Wolverines and doing things the right way (just like my Gma). He is an amazing man and I am blessed to have been his granddaughter. My girls are honored with being his only great-grandchildren.
Gpa with his kids at the table of honor.
Cousin E with my sis and my E.
J chillin with other cousin E. Did you catch that? That's right we were at the kids table since we were the only people with kids' at the party. Let's just say my tornadoes did their best to fill the void. Saintly J and E (male), ran after them and shushed them so that I could enjoy the evening. Thanks guys!

Sunday, we went to Gpa's church, Normandy United Methodist. This church is stunning. "The church building was originally the private home of Richard H. Grant, one of Dayton's outstanding citizens and businessmen. The Medieval English Manor style house was constructed in 1927-30, at a cost of nearly one million dollars."
This is the only church I went to before I started really going to church and by that I mean I went once a year with my grandparents when I would visit them. It was the only exposure I had to church. It's where my Gma worked for awhile, where my aunt got married, where my Gma's funereal service was held and where there is now a tree in her memoriam as well. This church is a part of my history and I love that my family got to take a tour of it, so I also love this picture of my kids swinging with Normandy in the background.
We got to relax over at Gpa's a few times and I showed J and the girls all the pictures of me , my mom and aunt growing up.
My family is very small, especially compared to J, so each member is extremely dear to me. Even though the girls slept horribly and got wound up quite a bit I am SO glad we got to go and see my side of the family.
No comments:
Post a Comment