Wednesday, September 19, 2012

38 lbs

I ordered a box of pears, 38 lbs worth. I knew I was going to have fun trying to figure out what to do with all of them. Here is what I came up with, in case you find yourself in a similar situation one day.

 Had my awesome hubby help me can 12 quarts of pears. It was a first for both of us. It was fun working side by side with him, up to our elbows in pear juice.

 
 Finished product. J kept saying, " Look how pretty they are."

 Then I filled a dehydrator with pears (thanks to my MIL for letting us borrow her canning pot and dehydrator).

 
 That big appliance only made a quart sized bag of dried pears but they have been a quick snack several times already. They will also be great for stirring into oatmeal.



 Of course we had to just eat a few fresh. Nothing better than a juicy, ripe pear (except maybe a strawberry).




 I flash froze a cookie sheet worth of pear slices to use for smoothies.



 I cut up some pears and made overnight refrigerator oatmeal. So Good!



 My favorite pear recipe, hands down, is this pear pudding (which is really closer to a cobbler)

 This awesome pear salad also features walnuts, feta, red onion and a sweet balsamic dressing. (thanks Shauna for sharing the recipe)

I also made a pear cake with a sweetened cream cheese glaze.

Whew, that's a lot of pears, but I have enjoyed it every way I've used them.

No comments: