Recently J and I were asked to be a Ma and Pa for our church's Youth Trek this summer. It is an opportunity to take the youth of our church on a 3 day hike pulling hand carts and living as pioneers to remember and honor those that experienced the real trek from the East Coast to Utah. They survived harsh weather, illness, sparse food and much more. I have never been on a trek before but have heard that it changes people's lives and brings them closer to their Savior through intimate spiritual experiences.
It requires a lot of preparation which as occupied much of what I have been doing the last few months. To physically prepare I have been working out 1hr 5 days a week so that my body will be strong enough. I even went on a strict diet for 5 weeks which was mentally hard and will hopefully give me the mental strength I need to survive on hard tack and jerky during the daily pulls. Most importantly I have been trying to prepare myself spiritually. I have been reading about pioneer families, their struggles and sorrows so that I may understand them better. I have been praying that J and I will have the Spirit with us to be able to encourage the kids that will be a part of our pioneer family so that they will believe they are strong enough to complete the trek and for them to k.n.o.w that God loves each of them. It will be a great responsibility for us to be their parents, for the duration of the trip and from what I hear even after, which we are not taking lightly.
The trip is in June and I hope I can live up to the challenge of what the youth need. Just preparing for the trek has already impacted my life in a positive way.

1 comment:
I SOOOOOO want to go on our trek!
Post a Comment