Saturday, December 20, 2008

In remembrance of my biggest fan


A year ago today my grandmother passed away. I journaled about it and thought I would repost it in honor of her .

"And so another circle has been completed.
My only grandmother passed away Wednesday night. She was sedated (free of pain) and went to sleep as her heart beat slowed and slowed until she was gone.

The world needs to know that she was my rock. She has been the single most supportive person in my life. There has never ever been a visit or phone call that she didn't tell me she loved me and was proud of me, no matter what I was doing with my life at the time. I know there were times when she may have questioned my decisions but she always let me explore who I thought I wanted to be. I've had some very challenging and unique situations in my life that could have led me to be a very different person. My grandmother was always amazed at the person I became despite those obstacles and hardships that could have embittered and hindered me. She made me feel special, like I accomplished something great simply by being me.

She taught me how to cook and iron, how to play Chinese checkers, how to write thank you notes, how to stick up for family and she taught me what true love looks like between a man and a woman (something not perfect but beautiful and ever growing).

I am so grateful that she was able to meet her first great-grandchild, my daughter, just 3 months ago. I know my little girl won't remember her, but I will never forget the happiness it brought my grandma to see me, with my husband, and our child that also carries her blood.

She leaves behind the most loving and faithful husband I know along with two daughters. She was loved by more than I can list and I know her memorial will be packed with the people she has loved and influenced.

If you can read blogs in Heaven Grandma, I miss you and can't wait to see you again soon!"

No comments: