Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Girl's Camp 2008

So my first experience with Girl's Camp can be summed up in 2 words: exhausting and worthwhile. The theme this year was "Be Loyal to the Royal that is in you" meaning everything was princess themed. Tiaras, feather boas, and jewels dripped from the girls and leaders. So in honor of our theme, I took a quiz to see which princess I would be and the results are....

You Are Pocahantas!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Free-spirited and wise. You have a strong passionate spirit that touches and changes all who know you. The wisdom and common sense that you have is really what guides you through life. Even so, you also have a very playful side that loves adventure and excitement

Which Disney Princess Are You?

My role at camp was a Queen of Cuisine (i.e. a cook). I was happy to serve and worked until I nearly fell into my bunk each night. The night before my departure, E kept me up until 3 am leaving me only 2 hours of sleep to last me until 10pm that night. I never really caught up on my sleep and only survived the work load with divine help. Despite the exhaustion and sore everything from our rigorous pace in the kitchen, I had a blast. Our kitchen crew comprised of some of the funniest people I've met in some time. We worked hard and laughed along the way. By the end of each laborious day we were so tired that everything became hysterical and created waves of giggles amongst our group, yes even the men.

Here is our fabulous crew (The Orchard at Camp Lomia). We were donning sweatshirts and hoodies due to the major drop in temperature at night. Thank goodness I took J's 0-degree weather sleeping bag! One morning we thought the walk-in fridge had broken because it was warmer inside of it than outside the kitchen.

We were lucky enough to get at least one break a day and with my free time I braved the zip line, and homemade merry-go-round, which by the way was a lot faster than I imagined it would be. I also was able to enjoy a craft project, one precious nap, some journaling time serenaded by birds and 2 showers, which is double what the girls were allotted.


Yes, that's me on the right nearly falling off.



I was a brave girl and didn't hold on until the very end of the zipline.




For our hard work we were rewarded with not 1 but 2 heart attacks in one night. (I actually caught the second attack but allowed them to finish) We truly appreciated their appreciation.




Here are the Alma 11th ward girls enjoying a feast and then helping with clean up (thankfully, one ward was assigned to help clean after each meal ).

The Commitment Hike and the video presentation from Family Home Evening were spiritual and uplifting. It was a great reminder that we are all children of God with unique and special talents, abilities and personalities. I am grateful that I was even a small part of such a great experience.

2 comments:

Sarah W. said...

We were so excited to have you with us... but I'm saddened that we never had a chance to play and talk. It was fun to peek in and say Hi to you though! Several girls from all the wards talked that their one of their favorite things was all the great food and NEVER feeling hungry. You guys truly fattened us! Thanks!

starkmom said...

I was a cook for two years at girls camp. Looks like you were at the Orchard camp at Camp LoMia. Where you? I know the hard exhausting work you go through,but would do it over again.In fact,I did.Great times. You're very blessed that you were able to go.Thank you J.
Love you all